It doesn’t get much simpler than this – Governor Tom Corbett’s budget would do irreparable harm to Pennsylvania at a time when we can least afford to take a hit. Here are just a few ways Pennsylvanians will get hurt:
- State employees in the AFSCME are being asked to take a 4% pay cut, along with one unpaid week off, and higher insurance copays. (Meaning it’s more like a 5-6% pay cut)
- 42,000 low-income adults would lose their health insurance with the elimination of PA’s adultBasic program. Medicaid would also be cut massively.
- Cutting 50% of state funding for 14 state-owned universities and colleges, as well as Penn State, Pitt, Temple, and Lincoln univsersities.
- Slashing public school funding and forcing many school districts to lay off huge numbers of teachers and close many schools.
- Massive cuts to the least fortunate among us, including funds for transportation to doctors, food and housing for the mentally disabled, and cuts to children and youth services.
- Eliminating the state’s Emergency Mortgage Assistance program that helps keep struggling homeowners in their homes.
All this while refusing to impose fees on Marcellus Shale fracking and wanting to save a $500 million in unexpected tax revenue for “a rainy day.”
Does this sound like the Pennsylvania you want to live in?